IMPORTANT: When making these changes from one server to the next, there are three things that cannot change.
- ACT! database name
- Path to the database (PAD file)
- ACT! Administrator username/password
If any of these items have changed within ACT! and moving servers, the above steps for transferring the configuration file cannot work. Re-creation of the Handheld Contact user within the Desktop Application would be required. This will be done by deleting/removing the existing user(s) [Click on Tools, choose Manage, select Users and choose Delete] from the application and using the 'Add User' wizard to re-add and set up with new database. This re-add will ensure that the setup is correct and syncing will be successful.
If these items above have not changed, you can complete the steps below:
- You will first need to go to the current server and open Handheld Contact.
- In Handheld Contact select File-->Save As.
- Name this file ‘settings’ and save it to the desktop.
- Close Handheld Contact.
- When you are ready to move Handheld Contact you need to first un-install Handheld Contact off the current system (very important this is done).
- Find the settings.hhc file on the desktop and move it to the new servers desktop.
- At this stage you will need to have already installed Act! and access the database at least once on the new server.
- Go to http://www.handheldcontact.com/downloads.php and download the Handheld Contact for your version of Act! (best to download the file and then run it).
- At the end of the Handheld Contact install hit finish. Handheld Contact will open automatically, just cancel the User Wizard.
- Find the settings.hhc file and open it with Notepad.exe.
- You will need to make sure the database’s PAD file path is correctly pointing to the local database directory. Enter this entire path within the tags <DatabaseFileName>. Also, the host name (tagged as <CurrentHost>) needs to be the name of the new server (these two options will be at the top of this settings file). Once these settings look correct save the changes.
- Move the new ‘settings.hhc’ file to the Handheld Contact directory “C:\Program Files\J2X Technologies\HHC Enterprise Edition\” if it prompts you one already exists replace it. Note: If using Handheld Contact v188.8.131.52 on the PC/server, the install directory has changed to: C:\Program Files\Keystroke\HHC Enterprise Edition\.